We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced person to join the team at Strange Parts, a popular YouTube channel that explores the ins and outs of manufacturing and technology. As a travel and production coordinator for Strange Parts, you will be responsible for leading the production of our factory tour videos, which take viewers behind the scenes at some of the most interesting and innovative factories around the world, with average views per video above 1 million.
This is a dynamic and fast-paced role that requires strong organizational and project management skills, as well as a passion for technology and manufacturing. The job will involve 50% travel to different factories for shooting, typically for 1-3 days per factory, and 50% of time will be spent working remotely on pre-production and post-production tasks such as researching new factories and overseeing the editing and post-production process for completed shoots.
- Manage pre-production:
- Research factories for shoots, identify potential locations and make initial contact with factories to gauge interest and availability.
- Contact factories and negotiate permissions and requirements to film, sometimes including fees paid by the factory to cover shooting costs.
- Arrange travel and accommodations for the production team, and make sure all necessary permits and permissions are obtained.
- Hire and manage camera operators, fixers, translators, drivers, and editors, ensuring that all team members have the necessary equipment and support to do their jobs.
- Be primary point of contact for factories, own the relationship and make sure that all requests and issues are dealt with promptly and efficiently.
- Manage production:
- Take notes during shoot on shots and the artistic vision, for communicating to the editor.
- Be the liaison between the factory representatives and the rest of the production team, ensuring that everyone is aware of the schedule and any changes that need to be made.
- Plan shoot days, anticipate issues before they arise and address them promptly.
- Maintain a high level view of the shoot while the host and camera operator focus on the current shot, ensuring that the production stays on schedule and all necessary footage is captured.
- Manage post production:
- Offloading and backups of footage, ensuring that all footage is properly backed up and stored.
- Delivering footage to offsite editors, ensuring that all footage is properly labeled and easy to find.
- Communicate shooting notes and the artistic vision developed during the shoot to the editors, ensuring that the final product accurately reflects the intended vision.
- Oversee the edit, making sure that all footage is used effectively and the final product is polished and engaging.
- Oversee finishing including color, audio, and rendering, ensuring that the final product meets the high-quality standards and overall style of Strange Parts.
- Manage uploading and releasing the finished video to multiple platforms (Youtube, Nebula, and Patreon currently).
- The ideal candidate for this position will have a minimum of 3 years experience as a documentary producer with experience in international shoots and a run and gun style of shooting. A portfolio of previous work is required for consideration.
- Alternatively, candidates with experience managing manufacturing across multiple factories in China will also be considered in lieu of documentary producer experience.
- Candidates must have experience operating in China and must speak at least “survival level” Mandarin. This includes being able to order food, get around in a taxi, and barter in a market without relying on your phone. Higher levels of fluency are a big plus.
- The position requires 50% travel and 50% remote work (digital nomads welcome). Travel will be worldwide, but will initially be focused on mainland China, Asia, and the US. Candidates must hold a US passport.
- Solid travel experience in 3rd world countries is required.
- The ideal candidate will be a natural relationship builder who loves meeting new people and building relationships quickly, as well as organizing groups of people to do cool, ambitious projects.
- Candidates must be detail oriented and have strong organizational, project management, and leadership/management skills, as well as the ability to adapt to changes in fast-paced environments.
- A background in or passion for manufacturing, engineering, making, and/or technology is strongly preferred.
How to apply
Does this sound like a fun adventure? To apply, fill out an application.